Saturday, May 19, 2012
.Com Company Honors Local Business Mom: Karen Mayo Recognized
From among thousands of contestants across the nation, Waterford native and entrepreneur Karen Mayo, owner of The New England Trading Company Ltd. has been announced a winner in StartupNation.com's 2012 Leading Moms in Business competition. More than 350,000 votes were cast in support of the 2012 contestants, demonstrating immense interest and supportiveness for moms building businesses across the country while at the same time they tend
to their families.
"There's been a sea change among moms as they've come to realize that adding entrepreneurship to their lives brings exhilaration and immense gratification, not to mention supplemental - sometimes primary - income to their families in these dicey economic times," said Rich Sloan, chief startupologist and co-founder of StartupNation.
Upon learning of the news of placing at #183 in StartupNation.com's coveted Top 200, Mayo said, "I'm very honored to receive this recognition. Unkowingly, my husband Jeff Marsh entered me into the competition. Needless to say, I'm thrilled we made it to the Top 200."
Mayo is the daughter of Mike and Priscilla Mayo of Waterford.
The New England Trading Company, Ltd. is the premier online gallery of New England artisans, featuring all products made in the USA, and all handcrafted. With an eye for recycled and reclaimed products, The New England Trading Company was just featured on NBC's TODAY Show on April 18, 2012 with it's Original Lobster Rope Doormat - actual Maine lobstermen rope that has been woven into durable and colorful doormats with a unique story.
The New England Trading Company, Ltd. Co-founders Karen Mayo and Jeff Marsh started the business in Waterford, Vermont in early 2009. The husband and wife team relocated to Ohio in late 2009, and have continued to grow the business from there. The 2012 Leading Moms in Business ranking highlights some of the dominant trends, motivations and attributes among American moms in business, including:
- A great sense for providing attractive discounts, coupons, savings,and value, all especially important consumer moms of the recession era.
- A likelihood to come up with innovative solutions and products to address the challenges of motherhood - it's an environment that demands resourcefulness.
- Conscience-driven business, where "doing well" is just fine, but the real rush comes from doing good.
- The attraction of being your own boss looms large for moms wanting to take control they just can't find in a "day job".
- Sustainable solutions and responsible business practices are increasingly paramount.
- Making the most of social media for business benefit is seemingly a birthright for the socially adept moms.
Learn more about the Startup Nation Leading Moms in Business competition at www.startupnation.com/leading-mom-in-business.
StartUpNation provides over 175,000 pages of business advice and networking for entrepreneurs and serves millions of entrepreneurs annually.
StartupNation.com is a free service founded by entrepreneurs with the intention of providing a one-stop shop for entrepreneurial success, including blogs from a host of experts, products, podcasts, webcasts, eBooks such as 23 Hot Businesses to Start Right Now, award-winning step-by-step advice, and more.